Tom

Chapter 51: Page 21

Thank you for reading.
This has been an important chapter and something that we've been anticipating in the comic for a long time. I'm really happy for all the people who have come along for the ride and I hope you continue to read along and enjoy the comic!

Comments

Add a comment here

*Check this to prove that you are not Boxbot.
ET

I AM SAD

27 Apr 2015 | 12:01 AM
BOOTS

...was the entire class just waiting outside to show support for annie?

27 Apr 2015 | 12:01 AM
Amanda

Ahh this'll be a long-drawn plot yet. No kidding, for how long ago you foreshadowed this development. Can't wait to see how it pans out (and how complex it becomes)!

27 Apr 2015 | 12:02 AM
Quinn

So many tears on my face :(

27 Apr 2015 | 12:03 AM
^-^

No robot smack down? What the heck's going on?!

27 Apr 2015 | 12:04 AM
Len

Blam! Shot to the heart. :(

27 Apr 2015 | 12:04 AM
Yohn

Not even words were required for us to feel their pain.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:05 AM
eddi

We can't leave now. Annie will need all her friends to recover her life. She has been forced back to square one. All her power and protections are useless in the face of her love for her father. And freedom is not going to be given to Annie this time. This has been a agonizing chapter. And it is not over, really. It is the start of a new Antimony.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:06 AM
BabylonRanger

Sooo . . . what's the tree? Or who, if we're going 'the-apple-doesn't-fall-far-from' route in which case the answer would be Anthony? I guess? I thought we were going to have a visit to the cherry tree at some point here, to be quite honest.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:06 AM
Anonymous

Chapter's ending ALREADY? Where's the eponymous "tree"?

27 Apr 2015 | 12:06 AM
SomeCallMeTim

Well, that's it, then, right? Problems all addressed, subplots all resolved. Soooo...that's sort of an angry-looking mob there, isn't it? Wonder what their problem is? Great stuff, Tom. You don't get off the roller coaster in the middle of the ride. If you do, you regret it later.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:07 AM
Chris

Tom, why did Kat immediately forget about Renard? I mean, yes, she cares about Annie, but why didn't she revisit it? And what happened to the Kat from Divine that vehemently hated Tony?

27 Apr 2015 | 12:08 AM
Blaise

I'm going to have to go back and reread chapter 38 now.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:09 AM
Shawn

I am so depressed right now, Tom. Please tell me this has a happy conclusion.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:09 AM
Alleline

Thank *you*, Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:09 AM
Dan

Coyote's take soon? XD

27 Apr 2015 | 12:10 AM
Not Boxbot

I need some Mort Fun Time after this. Why?

27 Apr 2015 | 12:10 AM
Jerry

I was hoping this wouldn't get resolved by the end of the Chapter. I hope this story arc lasts all of Book 5. Can't wait to see where we're headed next, Tom; amazing job. #1 favorite webcomic.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:11 AM
Wlerin

... for a given value of "enjoy".

27 Apr 2015 | 12:15 AM
Arianne

I see that Tom is using the royal We . Because I've read the comments and I think that no one anticipated all of this. Mr Carver back in Annie's life, Renard being hand over, Mr. Carver acting the way he acts, Annie's forest mediumship being suspended for one year .But,I'm willing to read on after this chapter is over. Let's face it, Mr. Carver will possible be featured in upcoming chapters. I want to know what's going to happen, because this chapter writing has been pretty ballsy in a matter opinion

27 Apr 2015 | 12:21 AM
Robin

From some of the comments in the last few pages, I think some people are just not going to be able to handle this change of direction. I think it is unreasonable to expect Annie to have a healthy psychological response to these circumstances, given her completely atypical and traumatic childhood. I think it's an excellent development from a story perspective and I eagerly await to see the characters grow from this. I think a lot, apparently.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:24 AM
FrankehFresh

God, I hope this situation can be fixed...

27 Apr 2015 | 12:29 AM
Lou

Everything hurts and nobody is happy.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:30 AM
Davies

... are you freaking kidding me. Look, mate, I almost quit reading you after that Friends parody garbage last chapter. You have seriously shed readers over this, so if this is NOT a gag, you'd do very well to make that very clear.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:33 AM
evan

> enjoy the comic > enjoy > joy there is no joy in this world

27 Apr 2015 | 12:33 AM
Triskavanski

I know what everyone is thinking right now. Wow thats a cool robot horse. Cause it is.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:35 AM
Aldarad

Well you have turned "teen rebelion" on its head. Lets see what Anthony is up to, if he is as multi-layerd as the rest of the comic, or if he is in need of some medication. (I vote for autism based on what we learned about him before this. Autism can allow you to achieve great insigths, while human relations makes no sense at all. You just cant pick up the signals others use subconsly, its like everyone is telepathic, except you.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:36 AM
RJFlorida

I am sure you have been anticipating it but this just falls flat and that is saying it nicely. There are a lot of people here with absentee fathers and the idea that one can come along and start exerting authority just like that is galling...and that is putting it nicely too.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:38 AM
Erik

Can we go back to the talk about giving Renard to Anthony? I think that deserves more discussion.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:38 AM
SomeCallMeTim

And by the way, an absolutely brilliant page. Not one word said, the tension palpable. I don't want to gush, Tom, but I don't believe the genre gets any better than this.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:40 AM
eleutherios

Tom I am going to hit you and cry

27 Apr 2015 | 12:41 AM
Kouta

For the first time since the comic started I am not excited for the next chapter. To be fair, I can appreciate what is being done with the story, I realize you have to do things differently now and then to keep it fresh. Personally, I have not enjoyed the past few pages. The art was fantastic as usual, the plot was a total surprise and very creative, it's just that unlike previous sad chapters, this chapter ends without anything for me to look forward to. I may end up taking a break for a few weeks and coming back to rip the whole bandage off at once rather than reading one page at a time.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:41 AM
EEEEEEEEEEE

That blurb makes me think you've been getting hatemail, perhaps? :/ I think people are taking their anger towards anthony out on you

27 Apr 2015 | 12:43 AM
Pho

The art on this page is amazing! I love the dust cloud of people coming to stare! I haven't enjoyed this chapter very much.. but I am looking forward to the next chapter. I wonder who Annie will meet? I'm excited for new characters. Maybe this won't end up being so terrible after all. I mean, perhaps some of the things she cheated her way through were really important and so she has to learn them?

27 Apr 2015 | 12:44 AM
Lurk

So does it mean we change the cast and will follow Annie plot with new friends one year younger and now the rest of "old" cast will become just cameos?

27 Apr 2015 | 12:44 AM
Jonesy

Yes. Important. But I hope the uncovering of Annie's father's motives will not be anti-climatic.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:47 AM
Calaros

Looks like this is an opportunity to introduce a whole host of new supporting characters from her new class :)

27 Apr 2015 | 12:48 AM
EB0

I do not know if it was intentional or not, but I must say I am not fond of the new light this chapter sheds on Katerina and Antimony. Of course it show a great friendship, but also a great callousness towards non-anthropomorphic entities (Renard, I would not even imagine them doing it if it was Jack, for example, in his place) and a pathetic submission in the face of authority -not only as a front too-. It made me rethink how Kat views robots, or shadow, or how Antimony veiws the forest dwellers and immigrants. They probably WOULD betray them in a heartbeat for the sake of keeping emotions under control too.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:48 AM
jodie

theyre like who the heck let that 8 year old in here

27 Apr 2015 | 12:49 AM
jack

so if the chapter called "the tree" doesn't have a tree in it, shouldn't every other chapter be called "the father"?

27 Apr 2015 | 12:51 AM
Bloop

"Anticipating" isn't the word I'd use. More like "dreading".

27 Apr 2015 | 12:51 AM
katpaz

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo9oooooooooooooooooooo

27 Apr 2015 | 12:58 AM
KekPafrany

I hate this chapter. You are a good storyteller. :)

27 Apr 2015 | 1:05 AM
Ben

Everyone seems to hate Tony for doing what he did, but I'm excited to see what kind of character he really is! I really like how this is turning out.

27 Apr 2015 | 1:06 AM
Gastrophet

Even the horse is somber. (Thank you Tom)

27 Apr 2015 | 1:09 AM
Cathy

And what a ride it's been! No amount of all caps flailing could express my love for this story but I can try. THIS LATEST DEVELOPMENT BLEW MY MIND. I can't wait to see what happens next oh maaan

27 Apr 2015 | 1:11 AM
Koms

I love your comic Tom. I feel so sad for Annie. I hope Mr. and Mrs. Donlan and Mr. Eglamore can talk some sense into Mr. Carver. But something tells me he isn't going to listen to them.

27 Apr 2015 | 1:19 AM
Sapphire

27 Apr 2015 | 1:29 AM
Inaquian

Well you're making it fucking hard Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 1:33 AM
Pip

PLEASE TELL ME THE YEAR TEN KIDS ARE GOING TO RUIN ANTHONY CARVER'S GODDAMN LIFE OVER THIS

27 Apr 2015 | 1:38 AM
Mika

How Dare You!?

27 Apr 2015 | 1:47 AM
vernes

This is such sadness. What will happen next?

27 Apr 2015 | 1:55 AM
Olba

Nice panel. Honestly, I continue reading, but I cannot say that I enjoy it... :)

27 Apr 2015 | 2:04 AM
Glenn

As horribly bittersweet as this has been, I can't help but smile a little when I reflect on previous chapters. Everyone who was once afraid of and distrusting of Annie are now concerned friends seeing her off. Definitely a great sign of her impact on everyone.

27 Apr 2015 | 2:04 AM
Selekate

The emotional resolution I was expecting wasn't exactly there for Annie, but I suppose this is a step in the right direction. Thanks for the comic, Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 2:05 AM
Jackal

Oh, so we were anticipating a complete derail of the comic?

27 Apr 2015 | 2:08 AM
Anonymous

Has Kat forgotten to get Annie to transfer Renard to her before her father can make her transfer him to him..?

27 Apr 2015 | 2:16 AM
AG

Of course, the whole damn class WOULD show up.

27 Apr 2015 | 2:22 AM
acelightning

That's a hell of a way to end the chapter. But I'm certain we'll find out more in the next one. And at least *ALL* of Annie's friends are behind her, not just ever-loyal Kat.

27 Apr 2015 | 2:24 AM
j0e

It all seems pretty final now, but I'm willing to bet that Tom has something special in store for us. The ownership of Renard for instance can quite easily be transferred to someone else, as per Hetty's example in Quicksilver http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index.php?p=1223. The new owner doesn't even have to know about it. So if Annie signed Renard over to someone Tony Carver can't boss around, say Eglamore, who immediately signs him over to an oblivious Jones, TC could put the squeeze on Annie all he wants. It wouldn't help him. Renard could even be transferred to Coyote or Ysengrin. Speaking of Eglamore: How much does he know about this? Renard DID speak to him after the Hetty incident, remember?

27 Apr 2015 | 2:36 AM
GakFace

This is the saddest chapter. I nearly bailed out to be honest. I almost put you on the "i'll catch up monthly until it gets better" list. I stick through because you've got a vision. This chapter wasn't as fun as the others, but I know you've got a master plan and I'm excited to see it through. - a devoted reader

27 Apr 2015 | 2:36 AM
fludd12

Don't start that page note with "Thank you for reading!" It made it seem like you were going to end it with that! Spooked me.

27 Apr 2015 | 2:36 AM
Melkior

Poor Annie (and poor Kat). Yes, Annie did bring it on herself, but still, poor Annie.

27 Apr 2015 | 2:37 AM
flower

Everyone's worried...

27 Apr 2015 | 2:37 AM
dzen

*squints at author's note* can't...tell...if...sarcastic...or...sincere.... *mind explodes*

27 Apr 2015 | 2:47 AM
pip25

This has been an utterly depressing chapter, made even worse by the fact that things apparently won't get better anytime soon. Can't say I'm looking forward to what's next. :(

27 Apr 2015 | 2:48 AM
Sam Swain

*sniff*

27 Apr 2015 | 3:04 AM
JustCurious

Anthony was always going to win the first round. This has had a very long and complex build up and was never going to be resolved in one chapter. There are too many questions to be answered. And by the nature of the situation it can't be over before Antimony see her father as he is, both the good and the bad and how they are tangled up together. Even then it will be very difficult for her to go against him but I expect that when she does it will be ferocious. I think some of the other adults will have to get involved, once they realize just how abusive Anthony has been. This may take a while.

27 Apr 2015 | 3:07 AM
Khaeta

Ow.

27 Apr 2015 | 3:11 AM
Pennpenn

That's the end of the chapter?! SIDDELL!

27 Apr 2015 | 3:18 AM
Storm

Alright Tom, lemme be clear. I've read this thing for a long time. And I've been around since before any spent the summer in the forest. And I was all "Oh, this is a magical, everything will work out" type of comic. NO IT WASN'T. First Mort, then Robot, then ANNIE HERSELF I MEAN WHAT. I literally had to stop reading for a week after her dad came in. Regardless, you're still the best and thank you so much for making Gunnerkrigg Court what it is. :)

27 Apr 2015 | 3:18 AM
Storm

Also, sorry I can't spell. "any" instead of "Annie". Friggin' ridiculous.

27 Apr 2015 | 3:21 AM
a Linda

Thank you for this and friday's page. Thank you for this chapter. Love reading your comic as always.

27 Apr 2015 | 3:25 AM
Pablo

...and the crowd watches in stunned silence as Annie & Kat slowly drive off into the fog. In the monomyth of "The Hero's Journey" as identified by Joseph Campbell, Annie is currently in the stage of "Atonement with the Father", where Campbell said, "It is in this ordeal that the hero may derive hope and assurance from the helpful female figure, by whose magic (pollen charms or power of intercession) he is protected through all the frightening experiences of the father's ego-shattering initiation. For if it is impossible to trust the terrifying father-face, then one's faith must be centered elsewhere (Spider Woman, Blessed Mother); and with that reliance for support, one endures the crisis—only to find, in the end, that the father and mother reflect each other, and are in essence the same."

27 Apr 2015 | 3:26 AM
R03

feels like we took ten steps back and none forward.

27 Apr 2015 | 3:33 AM
Celes

my keyboard is flooding

27 Apr 2015 | 3:34 AM
One Skunk Todd

Heading out this morning into the sun Riding on the diamond waves, little darlin' one Warm wind caress her Her lover it seems Oh, Annie Dreamboat Annie my little ship of dreams Going down the city sidewalk alone in the crowd No one knows the lonely one whose head's in the clouds Sad faces painted over with those magazine smiles Heading out to somewhere won't be back for a while

27 Apr 2015 | 3:36 AM
Meow meow

So where's the tree? I'm confused.

27 Apr 2015 | 3:48 AM
Anni

Woah, steampunk robot horse!

27 Apr 2015 | 3:48 AM
PickledTripod

I've been anticipating something, but nothing like that Tom. I can't wait to see the outcome of all that, I hope Renard will be alright.

27 Apr 2015 | 3:58 AM
UncleBibby

i still really wanna see what happens to Renard but maybe that hasn't been shown yet because Ren knows something Kat doesnt & it's gonna be a big reveal when Renard finally gets released from his inanimate prison & tells kat what's going on? i have a feeling Renard was more than just making a fuss... he was probably trying to break Annie out of her stupour, whether it's caused by bonefinger brainwashing or maybe just shock... either way, that wasn't allowed to happen.

27 Apr 2015 | 3:59 AM
Spiritmoon

WHYYYYYYYYY !??!?!?!?!? *sobz* THIS HAD BETTER GET BETTER SOON!!!!

27 Apr 2015 | 4:02 AM
kuri

oh jeez. word spreads fast huh.

27 Apr 2015 | 4:10 AM
Alexandra

Well, now it's getting interesting.

27 Apr 2015 | 4:18 AM
maarvarq

I agree with Gary Tyrrell of Fleen http://fleen.com/archives/2015/04/06/patreonage-announcements-and-new-things/ - Annie's dad richly deserves being laser-cowed.

27 Apr 2015 | 4:19 AM
TheWiggleKing

-slowly writhes-

27 Apr 2015 | 4:20 AM
Izzy

Let's make the friend conflict last a little bit longer than one chapter this time, OK Tom?

27 Apr 2015 | 4:25 AM
Anonymous

Tom... How could we anticipate this chapter? Annie is knocked down a grade, people lose a good friend, and the Court is a general screwup for apparently letting this go on for too long (ignore that last statement if its wrong).

27 Apr 2015 | 4:26 AM
Sam

This was a really hard chapter to read. But, as you say, important.

27 Apr 2015 | 4:27 AM
Becky

I'm glad we got this chapter. We've seen so much of what these characters struggle with on a realistic level and I really want to see what happens next. I'm also glad to see the haters aren't getting to Tom. If they aren't willing to see where this is going then they're the ones who are missing out. I don't see many stories out there nowadays that can keep surprising an audience and moving people emotionally like this. Thanks for going in this direction.

27 Apr 2015 | 4:36 AM
Big I

Annie's father turns up, shames her in front of her peers, isolates her from her loved ones, expresses disgust with her choices. Basically does everything he can to trash her life. He's a deadbeat dad. Even if he has spent the intervening years doing nothing except try to save Annie from Surma's fate, that doesn't excuse his behaviour. He abandoned his daughter after the death of his wife. When he turns up he acts in a way to hurt her emotionally. I knew I was never going to like Anthony when he turned up. I just never expected to hate him this much. I love this comic and am going to keep reading, but I eagerly await the day that Anthony Carver is either put on a bus or hit by a truck.

27 Apr 2015 | 4:39 AM
Urto

So... does he ever say hi to her?

27 Apr 2015 | 4:41 AM
Really?

That caption though, it made me stress out that this was the end of the comic.

27 Apr 2015 | 4:51 AM
W

Thanks for everything, Tom. I'll read this comic until my death

27 Apr 2015 | 4:51 AM
Aglet

I can't say anything that occurred in this chapter was anything I was especially "anticipating".

27 Apr 2015 | 4:53 AM
Wool

Thank you for making this comic! Can't wait to see what happens next!

27 Apr 2015 | 4:55 AM
Charrisa Baumer

I honestly didn't expect the father to come back at all.

27 Apr 2015 | 4:59 AM
Bea

Tom, you've earned your audience. The curse of the author is to not only grab attention, but to keep it as well. I'm not leaving, but I am treading carefully. Life hurts. Paraphrasing Tolkien: You can only escape into fantasy for a while before you have to come back to the real world. Looks like it's time for Annie and co. to learn that.

27 Apr 2015 | 5:06 AM
Setirb

Looking at this page, I get the same vibe as in the 1st chapter. Now I realize how much this story has come along and grown.

27 Apr 2015 | 5:08 AM
CPUGuy1

Time to Draw the 'Most Sad Face'. Oh, wait ... they aren't robots. MUTINY!!! No One Go To Professor Carver's Class!!!

27 Apr 2015 | 5:08 AM
Pax

Seriously????? What kind of a goodbye was that??????????

27 Apr 2015 | 5:11 AM
Proper

No one was anticipating it. And no one enjoys it. Such arrogance, to call yourself a writer.

27 Apr 2015 | 5:17 AM
Sanm

A robotic horse-drawn carriage. Okaaaaay... not something you see all the time.

27 Apr 2015 | 5:35 AM
Prometheus

Will keep reading - need to see what happens. Soonest! Civil war!?!?

27 Apr 2015 | 5:40 AM
beatboxbot

TOM YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDIDNG ME THAT CANNOT BE IT

27 Apr 2015 | 5:43 AM
Ashborn

It was a painful ride, Tom. I'm rather nervous about the future too, and just hoping Annie at least doesn't betray Renard by actually handing him over to her father... or that he at least escapes by the transfer...

27 Apr 2015 | 5:45 AM
WH

Wow, 51 chapters. That is quite an achievement!! And thank you for this great comic. :)

27 Apr 2015 | 5:47 AM
tinadel

STOP MAKING ME FEEL FEELINGS

27 Apr 2015 | 5:50 AM
jb

i'm really scared for what the next chapter is going to be. i'm so worried about reynard! SOMEONE HOLD ME!

27 Apr 2015 | 5:50 AM
Kam

*Lays down* I don't know how I feel about this. I really honestly don't.

27 Apr 2015 | 5:51 AM
Dark Harvest

I love your work man, kind regards.

27 Apr 2015 | 5:57 AM
Diftel

I reject this chapter. It didn't happen. Lalalalalalala

27 Apr 2015 | 5:59 AM
Renna

All of the feels. Dang it, Tom. How are you such a good storyteller? Thanks for writing!

27 Apr 2015 | 6:06 AM
Louise

Yeah, well it was a HORRIBLE ride. So thanks for that.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:09 AM
maggiekarp

We've gotta find out how to kill her dad

27 Apr 2015 | 6:14 AM
CB3

End of chapter?! Nooooooo. **whimpers**

27 Apr 2015 | 6:16 AM
Ted

I am very interested to see where you go with the whole thing. This chapter was very heart wrenching but I know you probably have big plans for the story and I just need to hold onto my seat while it happens. I would rather you have a story that is interesting than a story that never does anything interesting.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:21 AM
smilr

Well, nobody speak up first! That's okay. Just stand idly by and witness your friend and classmate stripped of her personality and railroaded out of your lives. Don't, y'know, express an opinion or overt emotion or anything! That's fine! Well done Tom - you've managed to write and illustrate a story arc that has left me shaking with impotent rage upon reading a majority of the updates. I seriously think you've destroyed the characterization of Annie and Kat that has been building through all of these chapters and figuratively pulled the rug out from under us readers but I cannot say I was bored or ambivalent at any point in this chapter. I'm looking forward to how things continue from this turning point :)

27 Apr 2015 | 6:22 AM
Todd Jensen

It's certainly a bold move. The main character - or original main character - is now close to written out; under Anthony's regulations, Annie's not likely to have the opportunity for further adventures, and doesn't seem in the mood to seek them out even if his hold slackened. I suspect that the next several chapters will revolve more around Kat (with maybe Paz stepping up to the role of "etheric girl" in the duo), though we'll have to see some of Annie at times - too many threads left unresolved otherwise.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:25 AM
Eteles

Tom, you're doing the right thing sticking with your vision. Please, please don't let the masses sway you just because you've managed to make them really feel. I assure you, those that attempt to leave will likely be back soon to find out how this plays out - they're just going to make a lot of fuss in the mean time.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:26 AM
Dave

The comic has gone too far this time; I was expecting resolution, not leaving Annie trapped in such a horrible situation. I believe there's social value in portraying abuse, even when it makes victims uncomfortable. But NOT to portray it as serving a purpose, or it being "necessary" to tolerate it, as the comic is here. It is never okay. It should always end immediately. There is never an excuse.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:27 AM
Pol

Oh thank goodness this chapter ended on such an upbeat note. :)

27 Apr 2015 | 6:29 AM
Magneto

WELCOME TO CRY

27 Apr 2015 | 6:30 AM
Klatch

I'm flabber-ghasted; simply and utterly gabber-flasted

27 Apr 2015 | 6:30 AM
phaelon

geez a funeral procession. Even the horse isn't talking! I hope we hear from some of the adults soon. If the Court knew about the cheating and chose not to address is, they are partially to blame and should allow some kind of compromise, like an intensive make up course.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:32 AM
Nojh

Wait... I don't understand. That's the chapter ending icon. Why hasn't Annie woken up yet? Or Kat? Someone is supposed to wake up from this nightmare... :_( I need to hug a Boxbot now.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:35 AM
Kate

AND IT WAS ALL A DREAM! Next chapter: Annie and Kat doing usual stuff together in class. In seriousness though, good work Tom. Characters have arcs, and stories progress. What's happening here is difficult to take, but so is what happens in our lives. I hope nobody manages to talk you out of telling the story. Incidentally, Tony is a great character. Very well written, so far! especially including the scenes of his younger self.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:43 AM
artificer-urza

I'm still amazed that there appears to be many who actively empathize with Annie in that school. Of course, my school experience has led me to be very cynical.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:54 AM
sasafras1

this chapter really pissed me off tom

27 Apr 2015 | 6:55 AM
Lauren

This page says so much without saying anything at all. Sadness. I'm sad the chapter ends the way it does, but Gunnerkrigg Court is one of the most amazing stories I've ever read. I'm with you to the end, Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 6:59 AM
Loco Dantes

I've been following your work for some time, and I've grown to love the story. It has been engaging, and the characters endearing. But I'm afraid you've lost me with this latest turn. It seems to me that you've violated Annie's integrity as a character so thoroughly that she no longer holds together; the very concept of Annie has unraveled, and with it, the story itself. As author, this is, of course, your prerogative -- she is your creation to do with as you see best, according to your lights. For me, as a reader, however, the essential wonder of the story, the ability to identify that had me waking in the early morning hours to read the latest installments three days a week -- this has simply (and very sadly) dissipated. I wish you the best, and I will miss Annie and her friends.

27 Apr 2015 | 7:05 AM
CinnamonSalve

As long as she doesn't join the Nunnery off in some unknown part of the world...

27 Apr 2015 | 7:11 AM
Khanaa

Thank you, Tom. I know folks are worried that the sky is falling, but you're an amazing storyteller and should feel very proud of what you've accomplished with this comic. I look forward to reading more!

27 Apr 2015 | 7:14 AM
Cinnie

Could we. Could we just replace everything with Mort Fun Time again? I could really use some more Mort Fun Time.

27 Apr 2015 | 7:15 AM
Csb

What is Coyote gonna think of all this?

27 Apr 2015 | 7:16 AM
Anonymous Person

So this actually happened? This actually went down? ...Okay.

27 Apr 2015 | 7:16 AM
blizzardg

Though frustrating, awesome chapter, Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 7:18 AM
illegal carrot

Don't get involved in their passive-aggressive bull, Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 7:18 AM
Implord

Awww! Even Winsbury came to say goodbye... Actually, since we're all done griefing and raging... Is anyone else excited if there will be really awesome new characters in Annies new class? Cute girls, for example?

27 Apr 2015 | 7:29 AM
Atomsk

I'm waiting for the chapter where Eglamore gives Anthony some "Wall to Wall Counseling"!

27 Apr 2015 | 7:29 AM
mikeinlb68

...

27 Apr 2015 | 7:31 AM
Aahz.

I'm reading still but I am certainly not enjoying it yet.

27 Apr 2015 | 7:33 AM
Tue

So I guess it will be less similarly aged students now.

27 Apr 2015 | 7:40 AM
felrozlok

iv been reading since my senior year in 2013 and iv enjoyed every bit of it. i will be here every Monday Wednesday and Friday till it ends.

27 Apr 2015 | 7:42 AM
RobF

Her outfit is just too much. Poor little matchstick girl...

27 Apr 2015 | 7:43 AM
Virginia

And I've hated every minute of it. Thanks for ripping my heart out, Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 7:45 AM
nogurito

Why is Annie wearing a concentration camp smock? Is her head supposed to be shaved, not just cut short?

27 Apr 2015 | 7:50 AM
Everybody

SAAAAD

27 Apr 2015 | 7:58 AM
Lotti

This is happening

27 Apr 2015 | 8:01 AM
oddodddodo

Year 9 students are more fun anyway. These guys just stand around with their mouths hanging open.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:05 AM
The Old Wolf

And this reunion didn't fall out anything like I had imagined it would. But then, life is like that. And maybe Annie and her father will reconcile. And maybe they won't. And everyone will have to deal with it, just like in real life. Wonderful storytelling, Tom - and your artwork just keeps getting better.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:07 AM
hazeleyedfae

I dislike her father a heck of a lot. >:( There must be a better reason he's doing all of this than 'I'm a jerk-face and blame you for my wife's death'.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:09 AM
Not_A_Boxbot

I AM DYING INSIDE!!!!

27 Apr 2015 | 8:15 AM
Herman

That's it? Nnnnooo! There has to be more. I hope the next chapter holds that.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:17 AM
arielleassault

Holy cow

27 Apr 2015 | 8:19 AM
moot

So this isn't going to resolve quickly...

27 Apr 2015 | 8:19 AM
kim

Wait, that's it? This is so sad! It sucks that no one is doing anything to help her.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:21 AM
VCA

Can't wait to read what happens next!

27 Apr 2015 | 8:26 AM
Unwary

Well... That was... sad. Good chapter, yes but not in happy way.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:27 AM
PossiblyBoxbot

Oh god this is so sad and yet i'm so excited to see what happens next

27 Apr 2015 | 8:30 AM
Tsaree

This has been one of my favorite chapters.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:31 AM
Der Mor

I've managed to read every page of this chapter when it came up. It was tough but I think that yes, it really was an important chapter. I sure hope they manage to resolve this mess, sooner better then later and go back to go hunting with coyote. Yet still, I'm braced for the next chapter to be as intense as this one. Keep it up, I'll keep coming.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:39 AM
JuneTree

*cries*

27 Apr 2015 | 8:40 AM
Mj

I've had a lot of feelings about this chapter. Mostly, I just can't wait to see where it's going.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:41 AM
Tof

My heart is breaking! Good (painful!) job, Tom!

27 Apr 2015 | 8:42 AM
Larry

I'm waiting for Annie's binding to Coyote to become a thing, because no matter how much her dad tries to cut all ties, that is beyond their control.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:46 AM
Zaorish

Tom, don't let the triggered social justice nerds rustle your jimmies. Be the mean storyteller you were born to be! Hooray for huge, epic problems to be solved in stories! :-)

27 Apr 2015 | 8:46 AM
Michael

This chapter has been fantastic. It's dark, and sad, but it's adding a dimension of character and conflict that is really interesting. I've really enjoyed this chapter, as I've enjoyed all the others, and I am looking forward to seeing where the next chapter goes.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:56 AM
Genthar

Wow, Tom. This was a tough, tough, chapter to get through. Even Mort's passing was tough, and emotional, but in the end it was easier because Mort himself had wanted it to end. This was much harder. I'm interested to see how this plays out in the long-run. Something I think a lot of the readers need to realize is that they're still kids. They're not adults yet, though some have responsibilities and knowledge that seem to be adult. In the end, they're still kids at this stage, and won't react like adults would.

27 Apr 2015 | 8:58 AM
Soren

Now they tell Smitty, he tells Ysengrin, Ysengrin talks to Jimmy Jims and is all like "look dude, I know we don't normally see eye to eye, but this Carver guy has got to be stopped."

27 Apr 2015 | 9:01 AM
Mystic Monkey

Well, new things and challenges I suppose. As long as Annie finds happiness and her father get knocked down of his high horse then I'm ready for it. I just hope Annie will be.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:02 AM
Ritch

One of the gloomiest chapters by far. Is this the beginning of the end? It's like a huge step backward.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:03 AM
Scottz

Tom, while I admit that like many (most? all? grin) fans I haven't been HAPPY over Annie's father(ish) and his edicts, I have to applaud any writer that refuses the typical safety net of fan approved story lines, and goes where he and the characters take him/her... and us, the faithful readers. That being said I'm still casting my vote for Reynardine, Coyote, Ysengrin and maybe even Jones to have a few things to say to "Mr. Carver" about removing Antimony from her role with the forest. Not to mention turning Cat loose on him. (grin)

27 Apr 2015 | 9:05 AM
Scottz

27 Apr 2015 | 9:05 AM
Slag

Great image our participation. Thanks, Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:06 AM
Soulvei

This is the first time in the years that I've been reading this comic that I've truly felt a complete and utter sense of hopelessness. I look forward to finding out how this plays out. Thank you for another gripping chapter, Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:06 AM
NOOO

This... is the opposite... of school... I refuse... to believe.. this is real. Please tell me this is all a dream.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:16 AM
Razor

Arggh, Tom, you troll! (j/k; this was intense and I can't wait to see what happens next)

27 Apr 2015 | 9:20 AM
katie

I guess a lot of people threatened to stop reading because of this chapter. I get that. It was REALLY hard to read. I'm worried about Annie and Renard. Rest assured I will continue to read along.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:20 AM
Caro

This chapter has been such a gutpunch. Annie's responses here are so true to life, it's simultaneously cathartic and terrifying to read. Thank you so much, Tom.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:26 AM
Geoff

Emotional blank Annie--just like her old man!

27 Apr 2015 | 9:30 AM
Nordlicht

Nooooooooo! That can't be it! I've been waiting sooo long to read this chapter at once! And that's all? A father I hate from the inside of my existence? No explanation why Annie obeys so passive? ARGH! TOM! Do I really habe to wait again to read the nexe chapter(s) at once? What do I do in the meantime? I guess I could finally lern to play the Guitarre... Jokes apart: This is great. Your work is great. I mean, I'm 23 and I made a Sims Familie with Kat and Annie just because this whole story is so fantastic. Sincerely your devoted Fan.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:35 AM
Freemage

Oh, there's no way I'm breaking off after all this. Just so long as you understand that many of us are now reading primarily in the hope that Daddy Dearest ends up getting his jimmies rustled by Coyote....

27 Apr 2015 | 9:35 AM
Xeno

If any of this seems familiar to you, remember to call 1-800-422-4453 for the national child abuse hotline. These tenth years may stay silent but you shouldn't.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:39 AM
Jordan

What should have happened: There's an awkward silence as the other students come across Annie and Kat packing up Annie's stuff onto the carriage. Then one of them says "Sorry you're dad's being a dick". End page.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:42 AM
Woodsman

I've been following you for years, not going to quit now. You've always impressed me.

27 Apr 2015 | 9:59 AM
Dyan

wait omfg this chapter is done?!?! I'm scared for the next :-S

27 Apr 2015 | 10:02 AM
Aeronaut

WHY

27 Apr 2015 | 10:05 AM
Jinxed44

Nope.

27 Apr 2015 | 10:08 AM
olthar

Maybe I'm a bit late to get on this train, but her dad's one of the comic's main villains. Right?

27 Apr 2015 | 10:11 AM
Cptdistraction

Been reading for years, and you just keep getting better. Thank you for making this story :)

27 Apr 2015 | 10:11 AM
boog

You're welcome! Thanks for writing/drawing such an important chapter!

27 Apr 2015 | 10:18 AM
mr skwid

dang it it was't a dream.

27 Apr 2015 | 10:20 AM
Stef

next page: Psych! April Fools chapter! None of it was real!

27 Apr 2015 | 10:23 AM
nickadee

I'm so mad right now. D:

27 Apr 2015 | 10:25 AM
MJ

I really hate this chapter. I feel like I've watched Annie grow into this inspiring (somewhat destructive) young woman. She's strong and courageous. He father has managed to take all of that away without little resistance, I kinda wished she would have pushed back, I feel like shes better than this meek character you've presented to us. I feel like the Annie you've lead us to know would have acted a little different.

27 Apr 2015 | 10:26 AM
Bob

Do you have any merch in the UK? I'd like to get a pin as a gift but it'll take too long :(

27 Apr 2015 | 10:48 AM
DavidDahlbacka

And so the hero leaves on her quest. When she returns, she will be changed, and she will bring change back with her.

27 Apr 2015 | 10:48 AM
Generalarin

Wait that's it? That's the chapter D:

27 Apr 2015 | 10:50 AM
Gnuttor

Tom, I can truly say that I trust you to treat your characters honestly for good and for bad. But Internet being what it is, I shudder at the thought of what unappropriate comments you probably have gotten during this chapter. Please know that most of us appreciate what you create, even when you take the story in unexpected directions. Or for short: keep up the good work, Tom!

27 Apr 2015 | 10:50 AM
Prowiasto

My feelings Tom. My feelings. Why can't I find them anymore?

27 Apr 2015 | 10:52 AM
bulletproofrodo

Is that margo growing out her black hair that she dyed red?

27 Apr 2015 | 10:57 AM
Litty

Awesome chapter, Tom. Sad, but awesome.

27 Apr 2015 | 10:58 AM
Dini Jimenez

Poor Antimony, But this is something to make this comic be batter, more Real, I Love this comic!

27 Apr 2015 | 10:59 AM
Michael

I know we just moved into this dorm, but it feels like the end of an era.

27 Apr 2015 | 11:07 AM
'laksjdf

The question is, what's Siddell pulling on the next page.

27 Apr 2015 | 11:09 AM
Socordya

So that's how this chapter ends: Annie utterly defeated and humiliated (plus mind control? seriously at some point she randomly has her father's eyes, it's creepy), Renard in the pawn of the most evil character so far... That just means the next chapter is going to be her triumphant return and revenge. I hope?

27 Apr 2015 | 11:16 AM
Richelle

Thanks for writing such a wonderful comic! I've been reading it close to when it first started and have been enjoying how the story is unfolding. This chapter was exciting and I can't wait for more.

27 Apr 2015 | 11:21 AM
BitVyper

AND THEN QUEEN EMERALDAS AND CAPTAIN HARLOCK APPEARED AND THEY TAUGHT ANNIE TO STAND UP TO HER FATHER AND NOTHING WAS EVER SAD AGAIN THE END. ALSO JONES TOLD EVERYONE WHAT DINOSAURS LOOKED LIKE

27 Apr 2015 | 11:22 AM
Hekate

It looks like Kat might have been sneaky and left the box with Reynardine in at her apartment. Maybe she'll have the robots "forget" him. I can feel an army forming.

27 Apr 2015 | 11:25 AM
Protected

No, sorry but I'm outta here! I'll check back in a few years to see whether the comic is more to my liking.

27 Apr 2015 | 11:30 AM
Nhjhbhhjhjhgfg

Leaving party!!

27 Apr 2015 | 11:34 AM
Bandolute

Oh maaaaaaaaan I just really wanna see Kat tell her parents about this. Mr. Dolan especially. As Anthony's best friend, but a parent of a young girl himself...

27 Apr 2015 | 11:36 AM
NotBoxBot

TOM!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? NOOOOOOOO!!!! :(

27 Apr 2015 | 11:39 AM
HardWearJunkie

Stunned silence is not good.

27 Apr 2015 | 11:40 AM
Emily

Oh Annie...I hope things start looking up for her. :(

27 Apr 2015 | 11:44 AM
Gaya

Oh my god. This chapter has been so painful to read, and I... I'm just kind of lost for words. I really wanna jump in there and slap her father right in his stupid face, and give him a lecture on parenting. Please, please, please tell me this'll be over before too long, and that things will go back to normal... I just... this is agonizing.

27 Apr 2015 | 11:45 AM
Dawnfyre

This just seems so Sadly Final. :(

27 Apr 2015 | 11:48 AM
Ashton

I have but one thing to say. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'(

27 Apr 2015 | 11:57 AM
Remarkable

Remarkable for its being the singularly most upsetting and despicable chapter in a comic notable for being consistently amazing. I respect you, Mr. Siddell, as a talented storyteller of uncommon intelligence and artistry. I will give you the benefit of the doubt. But this chapter inspires nothing in me except disgust. I trust you're going somewhere with all this, but the path you are choosing to take belies the strength, intelligence, and independence of your characters. It is alarming in the cowed obedience of your cast, and the unopposed injustice of its tyrant. Have you taken leave of your senses in pursuit of some vague artistic goal? It is difficult to imagine a narrative outcome that justifies the utter emotional compromise you've presented here.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:01 PM
LobsterJ

So is this a bad dream a nightmare or what? That being said if not then a bullshit chapter that has her betraying every last one of her friends and everything else she cares about.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:05 PM
Amy

That's the end of the chapter?!?!?!?!?!?!

27 Apr 2015 | 12:07 PM
Snow

This is messed up. I hope Kat or renard or Ysengrin will fix this soon.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:27 PM
Someone

What....What....What? Well Tom, thank you for the ride. I have been enjoying it thoroughly and I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next.

27 Apr 2015 | 12:27 PM